Saint Petersburg National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics.
ITMO University is a state-supported university in Saint Petersburg and is one of Russia’s National Research Universities. ITMO University is one of 15 Russian universities that were selected to participate in the Russian Academic Excellence Project by the government of the Russian Federation to improve their international standing among the world’s research and educational centers. It is considered one of the best Russian universities with higher degrees.
The research priorities of ITMO University are concentrated on developing information and photonic technologies. The university consists of 18 study departments, 7 research institutes, and one technical academy. The total number of local and international students is 13,890, over 900 of them from foreign countries.
The academic staff consists of 1,100 qualified lecturers, including over 800 holders of doctoral degrees. Many of its staff members and researchers have received government awards and designations of honored science workers. Their main aim is comprehensive assistance for local and international students in the studying processes and research activities.
The University is a member of the Bologna process. It provides studying of Bachelor’s programs, Master’s programs, and Postgraduate programs for Russian students and develops advanced Master’s programs with English medium of instruction. Students and teaching staff at University are involved in a variety of research activities and grant programs in Russian universities and universities abroad.
University provides studying processes at the following faculties and institutes:
- Faculty of Control Systems and Robotics
- Faculty of Software Engineering and Computer Systems
- Faculty of Secure Information Technologies
- Institute of Information and Navigation Systems
- Institute of Intelligent Industrial Technologies
- Faculty of Physics and Engineering
- Faculty of Photonics and Optical Information
- Faculty of Applied Optics
- Faculty of Laser Photonics and Optoelectronics
- Faculty of Information Technologies and Programming
- Faculty of Infocommunication Technologies
- Faculty of Digital Transformation
- Institute of Translational Medicine
- Institute of Cyber Technologies for Financial Systems
- Institute of Design and Urban Studies
- Faculty of Cryogenic Engineering
- Faculty of Food Biotechnologies and Engineering
- Faculty of Technological Management and Innovations
- Faculty of Secondary Vocational Education
Accommodation and Housing
University has several dormitories at its disposal, all conveniently located either within the limits of its student town or next to the metro stations in St. Petersburg. All campuses of University are also located within walking distance of the metro stations. Students and staff are welcome to use sporting facilities free of charge. The sports center consists of a full-size basketball court, a gym with a variety of workout equipment, and a climbing wall.
University aims at providing maximum comfort to the students. The hostel rooms are designed such as 2-3 students can share one room. The rooms are equipped with air-conditioning and a centralized heating system. Student hostels have convenient locations near the city center. The local markets and other amenities are easily accessible to the students.